Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Snow Day

Today is a snow day of sorts. The Midwest is currently weathering blizzard conditions and said condition left me unable to drive the 20-25 miles to work. Basically after trying to leave town by a couple of different ways, I ended up stuck for thirty minutes in a rural driveway in an attempt to turn around. That sealed my decision not to go to work today.

Thus, with an unexpected day off, I figured I’d blog about my recent gaming thoughts.

The local gaming convention, Winter War, came and went this past weekend, and it was a really good convention this year. Attendance was high and my events, though bog-standard in terms of plot and story, went fairly well. Others that I spoke to seemed to be having a good time as well. Things went so well that I’m truly looking forward to next year’s convention. It’s been a while since I’ve felt that way. Kudos to Don, Susan, and the rest of the convention staff for putting together another great edition of Winter War.

Now that the convention is out of the way I can start working on some of my other gaming projects which include, but are not limited to...

1) Tai’eres – My ongoing fantasy campaign using a system of my own design. I’m finding it very strange that despite how much I feel the fantasy genre is played out, I actually am having a lot of fun running this game.

2) Role-Playing Game – Nothing has been put down on paper for this project yet, but ideas are constantly percolating in my head. This game has sort of become a bit more of a priority after my “System Matters…” post and a conversation I had with Don, the main organizer of Winter War.

3) Paper Warriors – Same as #2 above. I’m not entirely enamored with the name so it might be changed sometime in the future.

4) Figure Painting – I have over 100 WarMachine figures on my painting table right now, and the number grows as Privateer Press comes out with more models. This is turning into a priority as my table will eventually collapse under the weight of all the metal if I don’t do something about it soon.

5) WoAdWriMo – This is second on my priority list (after Tai’eres), and I need to nail down some details for it very soon. Chief among those details are which rules system will the adventure be written for. At the moment, I am leaning toward Savage Worlds, as it is a fairly easy system to stat things out for, and flexible enough to handle whatever I eventually throw at it.

That’s pretty much it for now. I’d blog more often and longer, but it takes away from me actually getting stuff done. Later all, and, as always…

peace… RHManiac

No comments: