Thursday, January 18, 2007

Time to poop or get off the pot...


The logical conclusion of my last post leads me into a corner of sorts. Either I write a game system or I never run another convention event again. Well, those who know me knew where this was headed…

Meet Bob Everyman. The mascot for one of my next writing endeavors simply entitled, Role-Playing Game. From Bob’s look one can surmise that it will be a generic system, but there’s a catch. The core rulebook will only contain the systems to create a base human character and dramatically simulate how he/she/it interacts with the surroundings. Rules for character definition, skill interaction, combat, poisons, and environmental hazards will be included, but there will be no magic system. There will also be no gear list, no talk of money/economics, no other races, and no critters. Will the core system have everything you need to run a game? Nope. That’s where the supplements and settings come in. Supplements will include things like how to build other races or maybe a system of psionics, magic, or super-abilities. Settings will have things like a gear list, perhaps some non-human racial templates, and critters appropriate for the setting.

The layout and art style for the core rules and the supplements are going to be bare bones and very basic. Pictures are pretty, but beauty is only skin deep, and the rule mechanics are the ugly inner core of the beast.

The envisioned layout and art styles for the settings will be MUCH different. These books will be made as beautiful as I can make them. Why? Simple. Settings and world backgrounds are about evoking a mood and a desire to adventure in the environs described and pictured on the pages. That’s how it should be.

Above, I mentioned “endeavors” in a plural sense. I’ve got another iron in the mental fire as well, but it’s not ready for announcing… yet.

peace… RHM

2 comments:

Jeff Rients said...

I request, nay demand, an optional resolution mechanic based upon tiddly winks!

Seriously, I will run your system at Winter War if you include a Optional Tiddly Wink Engine.

Also I wish you the absolute best of luck on this project! Rock, rock on!

the Red-Haired Maniac said...

In the words of Shane Hensley, creator of Deadlands and Savage Worlds...

"A role-playing game is never finished... just published."

peace... RHM