Monday, January 31, 2005

Huh...

So, what happens when your second game company dies in the formative stages? You do what all sane and rational people do. You buy a house. =P

Seriously, Heather (my wife) and I have been looking for a bit, and we found a house in Homer, Illinois that pretty much fit our needs. We made an offer. The sellers made a counter-offer. We accepted. I swear, buying our last car took more time and haggling than this.

It’s going to be a bit of a culture shock for me. The two places I’ve lived at for extensive amounts of time were at least 45,000 people if you include the student population from the local university. Homer is pretty much the size of the subdivision I currently live in. About 1200 people live in Homer. The school district is one of those consolidated organizations, comprising of kids from Homer, Allerton, Broadlands, and Longview, Illinois. Of those towns, Homer is the “Metropolis”. Champaign is only about twenty-five miles away, but it’s still gonna be different not being able to get something whenever I want. Homer pretty much rolls up its sidewalks at 8PM or so. Still, I look forward to it. It’ll be nice to own something for our money instead of dumping cash down the rent hole.

It’ll also be nice to let my kids play outside without being hassled by some juvenile delinquent whose parents are too busy to curb the behavior of their spawn. I have grown tired of being the only parent in the neighborhood who will actually stand up to people who mess with my family. In this day and age, too many people are too passive when dealing with any situation that could be considered adversarial. As a result, people whose family members are being little terrorists are not put in check and made to realize that their kids are out of control. This is a big disservice to both society and the people with the problems. By yelling at others, who then shrink away from them, the parents of dysfunctional children get to take the lazy way out of dealing with the situation. Other people go away, but they have to live with their kids. Heaven forbid they actually do the work of raising their children to be decent, moral people. Before this digresses any further and people get the wrong idea, I am not trying to be a racist, or even a classist. I have no problem with people be they black, white, Asian, rich, or poor. I have a big problem with lazy parents and the children their laziness produces.

Okay, enough with the ranting…

Wow… We bought a house.

peace… RHM

No comments: