Friday, September 24, 2004

Tacooooooss...

One of the things I like to do every now and then is cook. Usually for a whole bunch of folks at once. Whenever I do, I break out my taco recipe and go to town. Now I will warn y'all that this recipe is NOT for the casual taco consumer. It can be considered hot though not so hot as to be inedible by most humans. Also, the recipe makes a LOT of food. Thus you have been warned...

Tacos ala the Red-Haired Maniac

INGREDIENTS

5 pounds of ground beef
20 ounces of medium salsa (I use Tostitos Thick 'n' Chunky)
16 ounce jar of jalapeno slices in water/sauce
1 package of taco seasoning (mild intensity)

Step 1 -- Place the ground beef into a pan large enough to hold the contents. Drain the oil from the jar of jalapenos into the pan. Brown the ground beef (with the jalapeno oil) over medium heat. Once all of the meat is a nice brown color, reduce the heat and drain off the grease and oil using a large strainer. Once drained, place the cooked meat back into the pan.

Step 2 -- Place the jalapeno slices into a food processor or blender and fire it up to puree. Once you have a green paste, stop the machine and scrape the spicy baby food into the pan with the meat.

Step 3 -- Add the salsa and taco seasoning to the meat-paste and mix well. Cover and simmer all of this on low heat for about ten minutes or so.

Once this is done, heat up some tortillas (I use flour tortillas), gather some toppings (cheese, lettuce, olives, sour cream, and such) and chow down.

I have found that this recipe creates tacos that are flavorful and possess a slow-burn to them that lingers for a bit.

Try it out and then drop me a comment to let me know what you think.

peace... RHM

No comments: