Saturday, November 06, 2004

Is this what I really want…

Do I want to be a game writer/designer? After much thought about the subject, the answer is yes. Yes I do. I tried this once before, and failed due to a number of reasons, but it all boiled down to me. Now, I have the potential for another chance at it and I am not letting this slip by again.

I must like my current job. I’ve been there for over four years and while it’s mundane, it has its advantages. I work for the best boss I’ve ever had. Overall, he’s patient and generous, and it’s not always with money. He lets one of my gaming groups use his restaurant after hours to game in once a week, and in about two week, he’s letting us use it to host a Halo 2 LAN-type get together. All he asks for in return is a bit of money to cover our soda consumption and that we leave the place relative clean for business in the morning. Another plus is my schedule. Yeah, I have to go in at O-dark-early in the morning, but I’m off in time to pick the kids up from school, which allows me to spend some time with them. That is something that no other job has afforded me before.

So why am I thinking of venturing off from an employment situation that sweet? Well, I’m not, at least not initially. A game company is something that can be started on a part-time basis and the overall fact of the matter is that I want something of my own. If it’s not exclusively mine, than at least something that can be called “ours” and have me included in the equation. I want to venture out on a path of my own choosing, not idle in what life has dealt me thus far. I’m not starving, but I am hungry, and it’s time to hunt.


peace... RHM

No comments: